School Director - Director of Education
AchieveKids is a dynamic, non-profit educational organization with a rich 60+ year history of providing non-public schooling in San Jose and Palo Alto, California. We serve students with complex learning and emotional challenges. Our students possess a range of abilities, and we focus on skill development to help our students transition to progressively more independent learning environments. We strive to create joy in learning and to enhance success beyond our doors. AchieveKids is an exciting place to work, and we have a lot to offer the right candidate.
San Jose Campus: 1212 McGinness Avenue, San Jose, CA 95127
This is a full-time, exempt, regular position that reports to the Head of Schools.
You are a the instructional leader of our school campus, providing leadership, oversight, supervision, and support to ensure a safe and rigorous learning environment. This position is responsible for the direction of the school program, curriculum development, and school staff management to ensure the highest quality of services are provided to our students and families.
- School Program Development and Direction
- Drive the process of large-scale curriculum direction from research, development, and acquisition of curriculum materials to meet the needs of each class.
- Monitor and purchase school curricula to ensure it meets agency, state, and graduation guidelines.
- Track enrollment programs, student progress, assessments, transition, behavior management, and crisis response procedures.
- Coordinate State Department of Education school certification process, including annual and triennial on-site reviews.
- School Site Operations, Transportation and Logistics Management
- Foster and maintain positive relationships with parents, caregivers, and partner agencies (e.g., NPS, NPA, LEA).
- Determine appropriate placement of incoming students and collaborate with Intake Coordinator to determine suitability of potential student referrals.
- Manage daily school activities to achieve educational and performance goals and ensure school site safety. Make final decisions regarding safety, health, policy and suspensions.
- Manage logistics of daily school schedules, special events, and trainings.
- Staff Leadership and Management
- Interview, hire, train, and manage the daily activities of school staff, including Teachers, Program Counselors, Floaters, and Drivers to ensure smooth operations and goal achievements. Make salary recommendations upon hire.
- Manage and review Teacher’s written communication (i.e., IEPs, progress reports) with parents and school districts.
- Manage performance, identify performance problems, define disciplinary actions required, and performance improvement plan to ensure fairness to employee, as well as legal compliance.
- Work closely with Head of School, Executive Director, and Leadership team to ensure school programs successfully address the student needs and meet the strategy and objectives of the organization.
- Foster and model an atmosphere of trust, cooperation, respect, and hard work.
- Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Education or related field required.
- Strong educational and managerial background in an academic environment, providing service to children, adolescents, and their families.
- Requires experience working with families and supporting youth with severe behavioral, developmental, and emotional difficulties in community settings.
- Must be an expert in basic behavioral management, and have knowledge of child abuse reporting laws.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- Manages school staff and operations.
- Responsible for overall direction, management, and development of this group.
- Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; performance development, reward and discipline employees; addressing complaints and resolving laws.
- Clear communication of complex technical, clinical, or business issues.
- Facilitation skills, open communication, and excellent interpersonal and team skills.
- Positive attitude towards programs, inter-organizational functions, and meeting goals.
- Plan, prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage time effectively.
- Vision and planning.
- Leadership and excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational skills with a high attention to detail.
- Valid California Driver's License and Clean California DMV record required
- TB Clearance
- DOJ Background check clearance
- Generous Total Rewards Package!
- 4 weeks vacation accrual, plus Floating Holidays
- Paid holidays, vacation, and sick time
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance plan options
- Retirement plan with generous company match
- Tuition and professional development assistance
- Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- A fun, positive, and strength-based learning environment!
Apply online at https://www.achievekids.org/career-opportunities